2011-08-05

Ninth game at EGC

It's friday and only two games left to play in the EGC. Today I played a Korean lady of 7 kyu. She didn't speak any English so we nodded and I placed my first black stone on the board.

She played her first four stones on the same side of the board, while I spread them out to occupy a larger territory. Her fifth stone she approched my lower right corner and there she must have played wrong because I closed her in directly.

I left my corner with some aji and secured some territory in the upper right. Directly she attached to my 4-4 stone and I played a hane. In the sequence that follows I build a wall that is building a large moyo.

She then turns to invade my lower side and I jump in to her lower left corner at san-san. She block from the wrong side and I get a good result and her D6 stone is too close to her D4 group, making an inefficient shape.

(;GM[1]FF[4]CA[UTF-8]AP[CGoban:3]ST[2]
RU[Chinese]SZ[19]KM[7.50]TM[5400]OT[3x30 byo-yomi]
GN[EGC Main Tournament Round 9]PW[Korean lady]PB[Boywing]WR[7k]BR[4k]DT[2011-08-05]EV[EGC 2011]RO[Round 9]PC[Bordeaux, France]WT[Korea]BT[Sweden]RE[B+5.50]
;B[pd]
;W[dp]
;B[pq]
;W[dc]
;B[fq]
;W[dn]
;B[jp]
;W[ci]
;B[jc]
;W[po]
(;B[ql]
;W[qq]
;B[qr]
;W[rr]
;B[qp]
;W[rq]
;B[pp]
;W[rp]
;B[qo]
;W[pr]
;B[or]
;W[qs]
(;B[pf]
;W[pc]
;B[qc]
;W[oc]
;B[qb]
;W[lc]
;B[gc]
;W[de]
;B[od]
;W[nd]
;B[ne]
;W[md]
;B[me]
;W[le]
;B[kb]
;W[lb]
;B[je]
;W[lf]
;B[mg]
;W[jf]
;B[ie]
;W[kh]
;B[li]
;W[hq]
;B[cq]
;W[cp]
;B[dq]
;W[ep]
;B[eq]
;W[ho]
;B[jn]
;W[fi]
(;B[hm]
;W[fp]
;B[fk]
(;W[dk]
;B[ej]
;W[di]
;B[dl]
;W[el]
;B[ek]
;W[dj]
;B[em]
;W[cl]
;B[dm]
;W[cm]
;B[en]
;W[lq]
;B[mp]
;W[gq]
;B[bq]
;W[bp]
;B[jq]
;W[gr]
;B[fr]
;W[aq]
;B[ar]
;W[ap]
;B[bs]
;W[nr]
(;B[os]
;W[ro]
;B[qn]
;W[ki]
;B[lj]
;W[hk]
;B[hl]
;W[ik]
;B[jl]
(;W[ge]
(;B[he]
;W[gd]
;B[hc]
;W[hd]
;B[id]
;W[ib]
;B[hb]
;W[ka]
(;B[ic]
;W[ja]
;B[kd]
;W[ld]
;B[ha]
;W[la]
;B[eb]
;W[db]
;B[ec]
;W[ed]
;B[da]
;W[ca]
;B[ea]
;W[cc]
;B[qi]
;W[kk]
;B[ll]
;W[kl]
;B[km]
;W[lk]
;B[mk]
;W[mh]
;B[lh]
;W[lg]
(;B[nh]
;W[ml]
;B[lm]
;W[mj]
;B[nk]
;W[mi]
;B[nj]
;W[kj]
;B[ni]
;W[ng]
;B[og]
;W[nf]
;B[of]
;W[mf]
;B[oe]
;W[js]
;B[kr]
;W[ks]
;B[ls]
;W[ir]
;B[jr]
;W[is]
;B[lr]
;W[ei]
;B[hg]
;W[gf]
;B[ig]
;W[eo]
;B[gg]
;W[fg]
;B[ob]
;W[nb]
;B[pb]
;W[nc]
;B[rn]
;W[sn]
;B[sm]
;W[so]
;B[rm]
;W[gh]
;B[gk]
;W[gj]
;B[ii]
;W[jk]
;B[hn]
;W[io]
;B[jo]
;W[fs]
;B[es]
;W[gs]
;B[hi]
;W[fn]
;B[fm]
;W[gn]
;B[gm]
;W[ip]
;B[fd]
;W[fe]
;B[fc]
;W[jg]
;B[ke]
;W[kf]
;B[na]
;W[ma]
;B[oa]
;W[il]
;B[jm]
;W[ps]
;B[nq]
;W[gi]
;B[jb]
;W[ia]
;B[im]
;W[ji]
;B[ij]
;W[hj]
;B[ih]
;W[hf]
;B[if]
;W[ef]
;B[iq]
;W[go]
;B[in]
;W[fj]
;B[hh]
;W[kc]
;B[jh]
;W[jj])
(;B[mi]
;W[mf]
;B[ng]
;W[nf]
;B[of]
;W[oe]
;B[pe]))
(;B[ja]))
(;B[eb]))
(;W[kk]
;B[ml]))
(;B[nq]
;W[os]
;B[oq]
;W[mr]
;B[ro]))
(;W[hk]
;B[gl]
;W[jl]))
(;B[jj]))
(;B[nq]))
(;B[pl]))

My H7 move is not so good. It should be better at K10. My F9 is even worse and makes a counter attack at H9 possible. The E10 move I regretted the second after I put it on the board. So I just pretended it didn't exist and I tried something else. The problem is that I removed some aji in the upper right.

Whites M3 made me some worries but I decided to defend my moyo and played N4. I was later told that this was a very good move. My opponent didn't answer so I got the possibility to capture the M3 stone.

A couple of moves later white attacked my upper group with G15. The best response to live is E18, but I wanted to be able to jump out in whites middle area so I played H15. That gave me some problems when I played wrong a couple of times and I barely survived thanks to my opponent to make as many mistakes as me.

By now I felt I was ahead and didn't want any bad surprises so I played inside my own territory at R11. Then came L9 and I felt like crying. I read out as far as I could and there are so many cutting points and it was hard to find any way to play a sequence where I can keep all my stones. So I played a sequence to give away three stones and am able to close off my territory. Then again I didn't expect the next move at O13. Well now it should really be closed.

We played all the way through endgame and to fill all the dames to count the points. I won by 5.5 points. Yay! So now I have three wins totally and all of them in the second week. Tomorrow I will meet a French 6 kyu. I think he both lost and won against 4k and 5k so he should be at my strength. It will be a challenge!

Girlwing won today against her Japanese 6 dan opponent. Tomorrow she will play another 6 dan who has played well this tournament. Let's hope for the best and that Girlwing wins her seventh victory.

Go players solving weiqi problems together under a tree.

Morino Setsuo 9P is reviewing the game between Alexandr Dinershteyn 7D and Catalin Taranu 7D.

Players looking at the results of today and the new pairing of tomorrow.

To farewell drink is served tonight.

Players enjoying the farewell drink.

No comments: