So now I have ordered parts to build myself a new server. First time ever that I will get a new computer as server. Previous I have only taken some old computer that is ready to throw away and made it to my server. The one that just died was my fathers before I asked if I could take it when he bought a new one. He had even bought a new one after that switch. My dead server is probably over ten years old and deserves to rest in peace.
This is the specifications of my new server:
- Antec mATX Cube NSK1380 - (350w)
- Gigabyte Socket AM2+ mATX AMD 780G (GA-MA78GM-S2H)
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ 2.9GHz / 2x512kB Socket AM2 (65W)
- Corsair XMS2 Xtreme 2048MB DDR2 XMS2-6400 800MHz
- D-Link Nätverkskort DGE-530T 10/100/1000 (PCI)
- Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB (7200RPM / 32MB / SATA II / NCQ)
- Samsung SATA DVD±RW 22x - Svart (Dual Layer) (SH-S223F)
- D-Link 5-Ports Switch DGS-1005D 10/100/1000
I am not sure yet if I will use the hyped up Ubuntu or the old reliable Slackware that I have always used before. I have actually used Slackware since summer 1994 and am quite comfortable with that distribution. I have used Ubuntu on my dual boot workstation and think there are both good and bad things about it. Most things I feel that is bad is probably my lack of knowledge about Ubuntu so I should probably choose that one for my server so I learn everything I need to know. But it feels almost like betrayal to not use Slackware any more. Hmm.. so hard decisions... What should I do?